Director of Communications / Press Secretary
JINSA seeks an experienced and hard-working individual to join our team as a Director of Communications/ Press Secretary. This is a full-time position with excellent benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Devise and implement pro-active communications and media outreach efforts designed to create meaningful relationships between JINSA staff/experts and reporters.
- Manage, create content for, and grow the following of JINSA’s integrated social media networks.
- Develop talking points, press background briefing material, and op-eds in conjunction with policy staff and organizational experts/leadership.
- Develop and execute media plans to generate media coverage of JINSA’s policy papers, national and regional events, and comments on issues related to JINSA’s mission.
- Promote to the media the organization’s news and policy-oriented conference calls, webinars, events, etc.
- Institutionalize “rapid response” culture and protocol to ensure that JINSA is sharing expertise with reporters before their pieces are filed, helping to ensure JINSA analyses are featured in the news cycle.
- Oversee production of media email product that provides the day’s top stories accompanied by JINSA experts available to provide analysis.
- Foster relationships and promote events conducive to increasing ties between JINSA and reporters covering: foreign policy and relevant national security affairs; technology and military issues; news and opinion editors; columnists at national newspapers; television producers and bookers; influential bloggers; and podcast and radio talk show hosts and producers.
- Arrange television and radio interviews for JINSA experts on topics related to JINSA’s mission.
- 3-7 years of experience with communications issues at a think tank, the legislative or executive branches of government, a public affairs agency, political campaign, trade association, or corporation
- Bachelor’s degree (minimum) in communications, journalism, political science, or related fields
- Strong interest in U.S. military and national security issues, including issues related to Israel and the Middle East
- Relationships with key journalists or reporters at relevant print, television, and radio outlets.
- Strong writing and editing skills, high attention to detail, and strong organizational skills, including timeliness and accuracy
- Experience with digital communications and social media, as well as proficiency in Google Suite (including Analytics and AdWords), Microsoft Office Suite, and an understanding of WordPress.
- Ability to cope with stressful situations, schedules and deadlines.
- Self-starter who is comfortable working alone or collaboratively with a team.
Location: Washington, D.C.
To Apply: Email cover letter, resume, and relevant writing sample to JINSA Managing Director Leo Nayfeld at Lnayfeld@jinsa.org. Absolutely no phone calls, please.